- This event has passed.
Advocates for World Peace on Aug. 6, 2022
August 6 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 amFree
Masks are mandatory for this event per its organizers.
Parking for this event is in the mill parking lot. The Franco Center is at 46 Cedar St. in Lewiston. Use the double red doors to Heritage Hall for this event.
The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
AGENDA FOR Aug. 6, 2022
* Al Harvie welcomes everyone and then introduces the Mayor of Lewiston Carl Sheline.
* Mayor Sheline gives the official welcome from the city of Lewiston.
* Larry Gilbert speaks about his personal relationship with Dr. Bernard Lown and his work to dedicate the bridge. Larry will show a short video of Dr. Lown speaking about war and children.
* We will watch the 14-minute video of Dr. Lown and the Soviet Union doctors discussing nuclear war.
* Dr. Doug Dransfield of PSR will speak of his organization’s relationship to Dr. Lown and its work to rid the world of nuclear weapons.
* Ted Walworth MD, who has experience working with Doctors Without Borders, will reflect on the public role of physicians advocating for world peace.
* Denny Dreher and Fred Brodeur will speak on behalf of Pax Christi Maine.
* We will then join in song.
* We will then proceed to the Peace Bridge where we will lay a wreath in Dr. Lown’s honor.
* We will disperse.
The event is being organized by Maine Veterans for Peace, Peace Action Maine, and Physicians for Social Responsibility–Maine Cahpter. Sponsors include PeaceWorks of Brunswick, Maine and Pax Christi Maine.
For more information, contact Larry Gilbert Sr. at 207-632-7373 or email Doug Rawlings (Maine Veterans for Peace) at firstname.lastname@example.org.